2024 Tax Preparation Assistance

Jan 15, 2024 | Financial Matters,

2024 Tax Preparation Assistance

Our volunteer accountants aren’t available to prepare tax returns for our pro bono clients until May. As a courtesy, here are are some options to consider if you need assistance:

STL Tax Counselors at the Salvation Army
STL Tax Counselors are preparing tax returns (by appointment only) at the Salvation Army in South County, 824 Union Road. Note that this free service is available to families earning less than $65,000 a year. To make an appointment, call (314) 400-8291. If you’ll be filing Schedule C, there are some limits that you should discuss when you call for an appointment. Please help us maintain our relationship with these amazing volunteers. Be prompt, bring all the requested documents, and cancel if you cannot keep your appointment.

Gateway EITC Community Coalition
With several area sites, such as public libraries, Gateway EITC serves low- to moderate-income families and individuals, seniors, persons with disabilities, and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance preparing their tax returns.

Brass Taxes
Brass Taxes is an artist-friendly locally owned tax preparation service that has been recommended by St. Louis creatives. You can complete a brief survey to determine how much you’ll be charged.

Online Preparation
GetYourRefund, a nonprofit service provided by Code for America in partnership with Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), provides free tax filing assistance to families earning less than $66,000 a year. Taxpayers receive one-on-one help from real, live IRS-certified tax preparers. This service can also file back taxes and amendments.
MyFreeTaxes is sponsored by the United Way. This free online tax preparation service is open to anyone of any income with simple returns, defined as W-2 income, limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV; student education expenses, credits or student loan interest; unemployment income; claiming the standard deduction; EITC; child tax credits; and child and dependent care expenses. Important note: If you need to file Schedule C (self-employment income), capital gains and losses, or income from rental property, you’ll be charged.

File For An Extension
If you file for an extension, meet our income and service area guidelines, and submit an application for assistance, a VLAA volunteer accountant may be able to prepare your return during the summer or early fall.
• IRS: Individual tax filers, regardless of income, can request an automatic tax-filing extension. Filing this form before April 15 gives you until October 15 to file your return. Important note: A filing extension isn’t a payment extension. To avoid penalties and interest, estimate your tax liability on this form and pay any amount due.
• Illinois: If you are granted a federal extension, you are automatically granted an Illinois extension. Note that you’ll have to pay any taxes owed. Use Form IL-505-I, Automatic Extension Payment for Individuals to pay and avoid penalties and interest.
• Missouri: You may not be required to file the MO-7004 form if you have an approved federal extension, do not expect to owe additional state taxes, or if you anticipate receiving a refund. See the instructions for more details.